When it comes to picking out accessories, even bags, there are so many options available that it can be a little overwhelming! In this post, we'll break down the most common bag types we stock in addition to our sales team's favorite bags in each category.
Before we jump in, there are many factors you should keep in mind while shopping for camera bags such as size, comfort, and your work style.
Here are a few questions you should think about while considering your options:
- Will my camera and accessories fit, and allow for room to grow?
- During a photo session, will I be wearing the bag or will I place it somewhere and work out of it?
- How much weight can my body physically handle? Can I carry gear on one shoulder or both shoulders?
- What kind of conditions will I be photographing in? What kind of protection from the elements do I need?
- How quickly do I need access my gear?
Shoulder or Messenger Bags
A classic and popular camera bag which allows easy access to gear! Great for a photographer with a camera, few lenses, and minimal accessories. Since this design has only one strap, prevent overloading the bag to avoid discomfort if you are using it for long stretches of time.
Lower Price Option: ProMaster Blue Ridge (XS, S, M, L)
- Secure magnetic quick release buckle
- Classic design with modern features
- Stretchy mesh side pockets
Higher Price Option: Think Tank Retrospective (4, 5, 7, 20)
- Timeless design
- Made with durable materials
- Adjustable shoulder strap with non-slip pad and carrying handle
If you are a planning on a long day of photography, and you're bringing along quite a bit of gear, a backpack is the bag for you! Backpacks are designed to hold a camera or two, several lenses, accessories and even a laptop.
Lower Price Option: ProMaster Impulse Backpack
- Soft and adjustable interior, durable exterior
Opens from the back to protect your gear
Higher Price Option: Think Tank Streetwalker Pro V2
Allows you to carry heavy gear in comfort
- Water resistant materials
- Increased depth allows for pro camera body and/or vertical storage of many lenses to save space
The sling camera bag is an option for someone who wants a backpack-like design but wants quick access to their camera equipment like a shoulder bag. It's the best of both worlds, and that's why we love this design.
Lower Price Option: Think Tank Turnstyle 5 (v2)
- Single strap allows quick access by rotating bag
Lightweight and contoured design for everyday use
Higher Price Option: Peak Design Everyday Sling (3L, 6L, 10L)
- Minimalist design with built in organization
- Everyday sling with waist carry option
- Flexible folded dividers for extra space
Camera Pouch or Compact Bag
These compact bags are perfect for point and shoot cameras or a small mirrorless camera with limited accessories, like a memory card or extra battery. They are designed to be worn around the neck, shoulder, or belt loop.
Lower Price Option: ProMaster Impulse Camera Pouches
- Simple and compact design with soft interior
Includes rain cover
Higher Price Option: Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 5
- Compact with built in storage for SD cards or battery
- Can toss into another larger bag or sling across shoulder
Rolling & Hard Shell Cases
Hard cases offer the ultimate protection against environmental damage such as dust, water, and impact. With large, roomy designs, these cases are excellent for a large amount of equipment which is easily transported via built-in wheels.
- Backpack inside for multiple different uses
- Hard and durable exterior for extreme conditions
- Wheels make it easy for travel
- Includes think tank dividers for interior storage
- Additional lid storage organizer
- Manageable size
This is just a small sampling of the available bags Rockbrook Camera carries. We welcome you to come into either location to get expert advice and try one of our many bags to see what works best for you!